Project Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

    Who is eligible to apply for LYFT Pathway funds?
    • To be eligible for funding, schools must be a member of SWWC, the Minnesota West Carl Perkins Consortium, or the Mid-Minnesota Carl Perkins Consortium. Outside districts can participate if they partner with an eligible school district.
    My school district would like to expand its CTE offerings. Do we need to partner with another high school in order to be funded?
    • Yes, the Rural CTE Consortium legislation requires that at least two high schools are involved in the partnership to be eligible for funds.
    Is the applying partnership required to provide matching funds for the project?
    • Match is required, but there is no set amount or percentage. Matching funds demonstrate the partners' support and are an indication that there is greater potential for sustaining the project.
    Can an application be submitted for a second round of funding?
    • Yes, a second round of funding can be requested as long as it is to fund a new course or program or expand to include additional partnering schools.
    Can LYFT funds be used for planning or just implementation?
    • Planning can be part of an application for funds, but the outcome needs to be that high school students will be served as a result of the project being implemented.
    Does funding have to be used for CTE courses and programs or could it be used for other collaborative classes between high schools?
    • Funding can only be used to develop or expand CTE courses or programs.
    What are considered CTE courses? 
    • Career Technical Education (CTE) courses provide learning experiences to develop technical skills in career fields such as agriculture, architecture, culinary arts, manufacturing, engineering, electrical and plumbing, health care, robotics, construction, veterinary medicine, education, accounting, etc.
    The Selection/Review Process talks about the “expansion of an existing course(s) to new partnership schools, what does that mean?
    • As an example, one of the partnering schools might have an established CTE course (i.e. Auto Mechanics, Metals, Health Careers, etc.) and another school does not.  By partnering with one another (i.e., sharing teachers, facilities, students, or equipment, etc.) it expands the opportunity for students from another school to take a course that would not have existed without the partnership.  The partnership should also be critical for both schools to sustain the course after the initial year.
    It is mentioned in the LYFT materials and application that funds can be used to “provide CTE courses/opportunities for high school students that do not currently exist”.  What would be examples of CTE opportunities?
    • While most of the new partnerships will likely result in the development of a new CTE course (for at least one of the schools), funds might also be used to develop other new collaborative CTE opportunities that are not in the form of a course.  For example, job shadowing, career guidance, apprenticeships, and industry tours.  Whatever the shared opportunity is that is developed, it would be important that there is an ongoing partnership between the schools to sustain it after the initial funding.
    Can LYFT funds be used for student transportation?
    • Funds can be used to transport students for face to face classes with other schools, but reimbursement is limited to 50% of the costs. LYFT Pathways will not reimburse students directly for transportation. Reimbursement can only be made to schools or their transportation provider.
    How much funding can a partnership apply for?
    • The current application process sets a limit at $50,000. There could be exceptions to that limit, but partnerships should discuss it with LYFT staff prior to completing the application process?
    Do the CTE courses or programs that are developed need to provide students with college credit?
    • Offering classes for college credit is not a requirement, but it is encouraged.
    Are there staff available that can help partnerships develop their plan?
    • The LYFT staff listed on the application can answer questions and provide technical assistance to partnerships to help them make decisions, but it is up to the partnership to complete the application form. 
    How will we know if our application has been approved?
    • LYFT staff will contact the lead project contact person and project partners, as listed on the application, to let them know if their plan has been approved or if more details are needed. 
    How do schools/organizations process payments for LYFT Pathways expenditures?
    • School Finance Codes: The grant does not specify that certain codes must be used, so that will be up to the fiscal host of the local LYFT partnership. The SWWC (as fiscal host) uses Finance Code - 000 and Program Code - 399. 
    • There are a two ways for schools/organizations to request their awarded LYFT Pathways funds.
      1.  Schools/organizations can submit ORIGINAL invoices to or Attention Tom Hoff - SWWC, 1420 East College Drive, Marshall, MN 56258, and we will pay the vendor directly. Schools/organizations should place orders using their purchase order process. Be sure to indicate the school’s tax exempt status when ordering.
      2.  To be reimbursed for any LYFT Pathway bills already paid:
      • Invoice the SWWC at or Attention Tom Hoff - SWSC, 1420 East College Drive, Marshall, MN 56258,
      • Include a copy of the original invoice that was paid.
      • Provide proof that the invoice has been paid (i.e., payment register showing the check number, vendor name, and dollar amount; OR a copy of the cancelled check. School districts can send a copy of the posted activity audit report)
      • Upon receiving the appropriate documentation, a check will be mailed to the school/organization making the request.